Friday, August 9, 2013

Interesting article

Years and years ago, before we had kids, I read an article that talked about how not responding to babies' needs- i.e., using the "cry it out" method of sleep training or doing other so-called non-traumatizing parenting behaviors like isolating a newborn in their own room or locking a child in their bedroom because they keep coming out- can cause disruption in the development of the section of the brain that relates to empathy. That resonated with me and I decided that we would do a more natural parenting style. Yes, our kids don't sleep and they still wake up and they've never really been good nappers. But they are also confident, with big personalities, engaged in the world and very verbal. Natural parenting always seemed right to me. So I love when I see articles that corroborate our choices, even when they come out of Notre Dame. :)

http://research.nd.edu/news/36692-modern-parenting-may-hinder-brain-development-research-shows/

No comments: